Selecting window treatments for a bedroom can be a mind-boggling process. Sure, you want something that matches the decor of the room, but there’s so much more to think about. Windows can be a focal point of any room, and the way you decorate them is just as much about aesthetics as it is about function, comfort, and being trendy.
Why are trends so important? First, new ideas are always coming about, so following the latest trends can yield new and exciting options. There may be something out there that inspires you but which you’ve never seen before.
Uniform window treatments represent one of the most popular trends, nowadays, especially with open floor plans. You could keep the design cohesive and select bedroom blinds and shades that match those throughout the home. Even if they’re the same style and color, you could add curtains to differentiate and personalize the room.
Light control is often a priority, for many reasons. In addition to maximizing energy efficiency (interior blinds can reduce heat gain by about 45% 1 and comfort, controlling how much light enters the bedroom lets you adjust the slats based on the time of day. Motorized shades and blinds are popular just for this reason.
Privacy is something you can address with products such as cellular shades, which allow light in—yet no one outside can look inside. Honeycomb designs keep heat in, which is great in the winter and for reducing the burden on your heating system. Blinds reduce heat gain in summer as well.
Other design trends include drapes hanging from wooden rods with metallic finishes and installations incorporating oversized grommets and other hardware. Fabric valances with beaded fringes and using fabric that matches bedding and pillows are trending as well. Or you could hang drapes in layers. 2
The window treatment ideas chosen depend on personal choice and the blinds and shades you choose to install first. These serve a few important purposes in a bedroom, which we will explain now.
Purpose of Window Shades and Blinds
Aside from aesthetics and being trendy, window treatments have several functions. Electric blinds are convenient. They’re a technological trend seen in many homes, but they still have the same basic functional aspects as their non-motorized counterparts. Blinds and shades can be used to:
- Enhance a boring bedroom : There are so many types of designs. Whether you choose vertical blinds or Roman shades, you’re going to want to complement the rest of the room and its other design elements. Plus, you can go to sleep at night and wake up in the morning to a vibe that matches your style and personality.
- Protection from the sun : Blackout shades or more sophisticated shades and blinds can all filter light, or you can completely block out the sun. If you get the best sleep in complete darkness, these can help you get a full night’s worth. Solar shades block out UV rays, protecting your health and carpets, rugs, and furniture from fading. Both options can also reduce glare on television screens, so you can enjoy watching TV in the bedroom. Install motorized blinds, and you can even adjust them from your bed with a remote control!
- Improve Comfort : Cellular shades provide internal temperature control without expensive electronics or heating/cooling equipment. Insulating windows, they increase warmth in winter and keep the room cool in the summer. Therefore, you can end up spending less on energy bills.
What to Look For When Choosing Bedroom Blinds and Shades
With the right blinds and shades, you can make a bedroom dark and cozy or bright and airy. They’re very effective at blocking out light. The type of product you choose and how you adjust it impacts the overall comfort of the room, but there are other things to consider when brainstorming bedroom window treatment ideas, such as:
- Price : The cost of window treatments is mainly impacted by size, but the type of fabric or pattern and extra features can increase the expense as well.
- Cleaning : Blinds attract dust and other particles; you’ll have to clean them often, but shades can hide dirt (especially woven or textured fabric ones) and may require professional cleaning from time to time.
- Cleaning : Kids can easily get injured playing with blinds and shades, so, if there are children at home, consider cordless varieties.
- Cleaning : Bold, dramatic colors or subtler earthy colors can fit quite well, depending on the style of the room’s decor. By experimenting with color, you can create a casual, formal, trendy, or just plain comfortable bedroom.
- Cleaning : Some people add liners to darken the room more, but there are rout holes and slits that can let light in; linings should, therefore, complement the window treatments chosen, not replace them.
- Stretching/shrinking/migration : Heat and humidity can affect fibers, and slats can migrate and become uneven. A window shade may shrink or stretch by an inch or more over time—minimize these effects by adding edge banding, which serves a decorative purpose as well. 3
Blinds vs. Shades
Choosing blinds over shades depends on what works best for you. Blinds are generally characterized by their tiltable slats that adjust the amount of light in your bedroom. Wood blinds are highly effective and come in various styles. You can find them in dark and light colors, painted or with polished finishes. Motorized blinds made of wood come in many sizes.
Whether you choose horizontal slats or vertical blinds, the treatment just needs a slight adjustment to tweak the brightness level in the room. The window pane retains its finished look when the slats are opened. You also don’t have to worry about privacy when adjusting blinds.
Shades, on the other hand, offer more versatility in design. They include woven wood, tightly woven fabric such as microsuede or twill, honeycomb, vinyl, and sheer woven solar shades. Even electric shades can provide a softer, warmer look compared to blinds.
There can be a number of different types. Roman shades are popular, as are roller, woven, and cellular shades. You can spruce up a plain room or match a general decorating theme. If control over fabric coverings by using a lifting mechanism or cord is appealing, shades are the way to go.
Types of Window Blinds and Shades for Bedrooms
Decor Blinds and Shades offers numerous styles. Our automated blinds are popular and part of the Hunter Douglas line. They have the advantages of ease of use, so you can control the amount of light entering a room from a distance, no matter what time of day it is. Safety concerns associated with cords are eliminated, and there is the modern flair of a home automation device that can be managed via remote or smartphone. Horizontal and vertical motorized blinds are available.
Simple in design, these can be purchased in plain white or in more sophisticated designs with various colors and patterns. They can provide a custom look despite their simplicity. We offer these shades in solid, screen, and fabric styles, and roller window blinds as well. Blackout shades are in stock, and options include the addition of hem bars and bottom rails.
The classic look helps make the living environment more inviting. Choose from flat or teardrop style shades, soft fabrics, and motorized systems. A 9-inch fabric valance that matches each shade is available, and various colors, styles, and textures of fabric can be selected. Some products are flat, while others are looped with folded fabric. In general, roman shades hang flat when closed and form deep, horizontal pleats when opened.
As highly versatile window treatments, cellular shades can filter light in various degrees. They are insulating, as well. Other perks include minimal maintenance and multiple sizes, colors, and textures to pick from. Our products have a double-cell construction, making them more durable while improving energy efficiency. The fabrics are non-woven and soft, the lift cords and rout holes are concealed, and the design options allow the shades to be adapted to fit arches, circles, and angles.
In addition to a selection of weaves and textures, we offer woven products made of natural wood. Examples include matchstick, grasscloth, and bamboo. Continuous cord loop and top-down/bottom-up styles are available, as are edge binding and liner upgrades.
Wood blind installation comes with our custom-made genuine wood, manufactured in various slat sizes (1-, 2-, and 2½-inch slats). Traditional and contemporary interior designs can be accommodated. Faux wood blinds are also available, made of composites that provide just as classic a look as natural wood. Matching decorative valances are included, too.
Decor Blinds and Shades: Ready to Customize Your Bedroom
You may like the look of wooden shades or the appeal of sheer horizontals. These work the same way as a horizontal blind but have translucent sheer fabric vanes, visually complemented by double sheer fabrics. Open or close them fully or leave the vanes partially open. When fully open, the vanes disappear into a cassette headrail and can be motorized.
Decor Blinds and Shades also offers an array of sliding panels, draperies, plantation shutters, and Neolux Shades for more choices in decorating your bedroom. For help choosing the right products and window treatment ideas, prompt/effortless installation, and a complimentary consultation, call us at 305-290-4660 .